Wednesday 16 September 2020

Making Friends with Your Darkness - Mindful Imagination Experience

Welcome to the Mindful Imagination Experience. 


It is in the darkness that you truly see yourself. The monster that I walked into that night was of my own creation. I am the monster and the light. I am the hero and darkness. We are one, two are the same and Jekyll and Hyde is real. It is your ego and your imagination. The darkness makes us stronger, it makes the light shine brighter. Know your darkness and learn to balance with it. That way you can create a golden light. 

We all need friends don't we? Start with yourself. 

The darkness I am talking about is my depression; the night I walked into was my fear. I had fear of the past, fear of the present and fear of the future. I feared that I did not have a future. It was one September night over 10 years ago that I walked into the pitch black and faced that fear. I am still here; the fear has subsided.

Fear is the enemy of an empath. What is the usual response to someone who feels the need to commit suicide? It is fear, where it should be compassion. This is fuelled by our modern society and the norms that we have been indoctrinated into. To personally feel suicidal is not a problem except to society, in fact it could be argued that it is a perfectly natural human response to an emotional reaction to the world. We all feel we want to give up at times. It is how we deal with it that creates the problem. By using fear to challenge suicide, we escalate the emotion and make it worse. It is akin to making drugs illegal and pushing them underground, they become something mythical. They become a bigger monster than they actually are. Our society and its need to control and make everyone the same, creates fear of human emotion. 

Being kind to your fears and worries, listening to them and allowing them a bit of space to breathe can help to give them less power. By burying them deep, you push them into some unknown internal space where darkness only grows. Keep those feelings out and they are washed with light, given more time to be shone upon and then the darkness fades. You cannot stop the bad emotions, but you can choose how to respond to them. 

Ultimately your life is in your hands. The myth about suicide or self-harm is that it is an 'in-the-moment' decision, it is not. In fact most are brought to that decision through a series of events and their cloud of negative darkness drives them to one conclusion. It happens over time and it doesn't have to happen. Being scared is not something to be scared of; if you can help and show empathy, or a hint of understanding, that is way more important and can rectify a situation far greater than someone who drags you to the doctor for pills, or who thinks you are mad.

   

Society created madness to control the people it couldn't control; the risk-takers; the questioners; the dreamers; the flyers. 

Just by showing love to a person, and what does that cost, you can change a life. Love is not sex or drama or lust; love is compassion for another person. You can love and not be in love, do not confuse the two; two men can love each other and it is not sexual. They are two men who are compassionate and caring of each other's needs. Empathy is an arm around the shoulder. 

We can change the world through love. All it takes is a little imagination, a lot of determination and plenty of belief. If we channeled the energy of the darkness that we see, you know all the hate and anti-this and that and all the isms that float around, that can be turned to light and given greater power for the greater good. 

You fight hate with love the same way you douse fire with water. Love is calm; love is quiet; love is listening and trying to understand. Hate is none of those things. 

Therefore I ask you that when you head out to work or to a friends house or to the shops, place yourself in a zone of love and see what happens. If you believe in it, and believe that you are surrounded by it, the universe will start to open doors for you that you never realised could be opened up. Do it.

New poster for A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood featuring Tom Hanks as  Mister Rogers

I recently watched a beautiful film on Bluray that I wholly recommend, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood. Tom Hanks is superb as the late Mister Rogers, who entertained children for four decades in the US. Here was a man who was empathic, supportive, understanding, philosophical and mindful of anyone. He taught many children lessons on life and spoke about the things adults find difficult to approach. He is an inspiration, and I find it quite strange that I have seen this movie at this time in my life. 

Being a child of the United Kingdom I did not know of Mister Rogers or his impact. His television show is weirdly similar to my show on Mindful Imagination and his lessons echo the message I am trying to put out there. Watching this movie has inspired me to push my show and online experience further and how I can get it out there during this pandemic. 

A great film, I cannot recommend it enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Benefits of Being Mad - MIE

  Along with existence I received a way of existing, or a style. All my actions and thoughts are related to this structure, even a philosoph...