Thursday 6 August 2020

How to Focus instead of Anger - We are Heroes


We are all HEROES. 



I don't mean that we all have to wear boxer shorts over our tights, or that we have to flap around in colourful capes or carry special weapons like shields. But in essence we are all heroes. We are all on our own journey of discovery.

My name is Zac, and I am a mindful practitioner, writer and performer and I have depression. Sometimes it is very strong, sometimes it is mild, sometimes it would seem to not even be there at all. Yet it hums away in the background, perhaps recharging it's battery for the next round, until...

DING DING

...we fall into the next scrape between good and evil.



 

 The things that I have learnt over the years I have collated into a book, which I will soon publish online. In the meantime, my Mindful Imagination Fayre posts are designed to give a little hint, a pointer, hopefully shine a light of hope in the darkness for those of you who have to live with the illness that is depression; an umbrella term that holds many symptoms. 

If you are able to hold in there, and for me transcendental meditation has been key to my awakening from the darkness, then I would class you as a hero. But I want you to remember one thing, you have to do this, no-one can do it for you. There are no hero stories out there where the hero gets someone else to achieve their goals. Like Ben Kenobi said in The Empire Strikes Back, 'if you face him you must do it alone, I cannot be with you'. 
Face the fear, and defeat your demons. It takes bravery and it takes time, but you are worth it, aren't you? 

I want to go over anger, which is like a deep pea-souper that overwhelms the senses. Picture those old images of Victorian London awash with cloud hanging just above the cobbled streets. That is an image of anger. When you can't see clearly, you can't focus on what lies ahead. You walk blindly into situations with no control over your reaction or the reactions of others. Anger is blind and that is why I am always amazed at how angry drivers are. It would seem that every day on my commute to work I encounter at least 1 angry driver, who not only puts the life of the people around them at risk, but also their own. What is so important that they do that they need to terrorise the streets? 

I'm sure this happens everywhere, and while this may be a little off-topic rant (see my video linked below), I feel it worthy of inclusion as anger is a deep emotion that erupts from something inside that has not been dealt with. 

Mindfulness gives you space to see yourself in a non-judgemental way; by meditating you gift yourself a little time to allow that process to unfold. 

In my workshops and shows (soon to be online), I offer some modern meditations that cater for the busy lives and trends of our time. It is not about sitting in the locus position and humming, it is about channeling in to you and listening to your heart and soul. It sounds simple, and I wish it was. 

I also wish I was infallible and practiced what I preach, but I am human and humans fall into patterns of behaviour learnt way back. Humans make mistakes, and I make mistakes because I am human. You know what? That's called life and I refuse to allow it to manifest into a stick to beat myself with. Another thing I have learnt after years of self-harm. 

Angry drivers make mistakes and if any drivers are reading this who drive 2 feet away from the car in front or over take at any given opportunity I want to say this: unless you are a doctor or fire officer or police officer or brain surgeon or heart surgeon, what's the rush? Ditch the anger, put some music on and chill. You will feel better, the journey will take as long as it takes and traffic is not something you can control, so don't try to. Focus on what is important and use that energy from your anger to change your world, perhaps change the world, do something positive with it instead of putting fear and hate into others. 

No-one likes a tailgater.

My video here gives you an insight into my Fayre, my world, my ideas and where I  come from. After years of worrying that I am odd, eccentric, quirky or not quite ready for this world I have come to one conclusion: I am me, I am Zac Thraves and this is my world. 




My Books - 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Benefits of Being Mad - MIE

  Along with existence I received a way of existing, or a style. All my actions and thoughts are related to this structure, even a philosoph...