Thursday 23 April 2020

Mindfulness Imagination Pt 3

The trouble with being alone all of the time, is that you forget what it is like to be with other people.

That's not a quote, at least I don't think, I made it up; but it does feel true. In another part of my life I am an actor and a ceremony celebrant. Yet for the most part I am far happier sitting alone and not interacting with the world. I think they call that an introverted extrovert or something.

With the world in lockdown I thought this would be a perfect time for me to have time for myself, work at my own pace and do those things I've wanted to do. The answer to that is yes, it has been a perfect time and it has been embraced. Yet now I need to see other people. The introversion has become overwhelming, like a blanket wrapped around you and you can't find the end to glimpse some light.

To keep the demons away I have been interrupting my work schedule with a little creativity. It's not much, and it is not enough to distract you completely, and it is almost going back to a time of school and doodling on a pad while the teacher mumbles on about something geographical, which I hated.

Try this, if you have in a draw or box somewhere a small palette of child's water colours, then open it up, grab a glass of water and a paint brush and some paper that you don't need. Then just stroke that brush about the page and see what your imagination can conjure up. It doesn't have to be anything, it doesn't have to look like anything, but it is releasing that pent up frustration or depression in your mind and re-focussing your brain onto something else. Who knows. you could be on your way to being Picasso.


Another thing you could try to take your mind off things is listen to music. You know, now you're not stuck in an office of people who may comment on your choice of tunes you can listen to anything you damn well please. I've taken to dusting off the vinyl, and then mixing it with a dose of Spotify or some old CD's that have almost disappeared from memory.

I also listen to movie soundtracks, and there are some, such as Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark, where you can more or less visualize the movie as you listen.

The wonderful thing about that is you can have a scene playing in your head while your eyes are scanning the next email to deal with. It is called multi-tasking, and is very good for your brain as well as for your imagination.





Our imaginations are an important component for maintaining our emotional and mental health. Art plays a huge role in our wellbeing and is usually the first thing to be sacrificed when things turn sour in the world. Yet, when we are faced with dire situations we turn to music, we turn to television box-sets; we turn to movies and to grabbing hold of that feelgood moment.

My message to you is. that if you feel you are down, depressed, anxious, unable to focus or just wishing yourself away, then switch on that side of your brain that is creative. You are not expected to give anyone a masterpiece, you are just expected to make you smile.

If you like what you have done share it; if you don't, then you have achieved something wonderful. Something unique to you that no-one else will see.

Stay well and safe and see you on the other side.

Zac Thraves is a writer, performer and mindfulness practitioner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Benefits of Being Mad - MIE

  Along with existence I received a way of existing, or a style. All my actions and thoughts are related to this structure, even a philosoph...